About the Organisation
JioSaavn is South Asia’s leading music streaming service. We are over 200 entrepreneurs, across New York, California, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Bangalore, who help music lovers access, discover, and listen to their favorite songs across languages and genres. In early 2018, a merger between JioMusic and Saavn was announced; creating a combined entity valued at over $1 billion. We blend digital technology, data analysis (which we have affectionately coined Music Science), and strong, fearless business acumen to reach all corners of the globe. Through partnerships with Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and Shazam – to name a few – JioSaavn reaches more music fans across the world. Our award-winning mobile products, partnerships, innovations, and thought leadership has been featured in some of the world’s leading publications, from The New York Times to The Wall Street Journal, The Economic Times to Forbes, and many more. We are well-funded by some of the world’s most successful institutional investors and global media companies as well as a number of strategic individuals. Beyond investing, they are advisors and supporters of our vision, our passion, and our collective ability to deliver a revolutionary music experience as the leader in India. At JioSaavn, we ignite passion and performance to work towards a collective goal: creating the perfect mobile entertainment ecosystem that delivers the best possible music experience to millions of listeners around the world. Our default mode is that of perpetual innovation. Together, we form a concerted rhythm that goes beyond borders. We don’t just go with the flow, we create it.
JioSaavn is currently seeking a lawyer to join the in-house legal team to play a crucial legal and business affairs role for JioSaavn’s India operations. A successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the evolving needs of a fast-paced and high-growth business, bringing pragmatic solutions, best practices, and strategies for managing legal risks. We are looking for a talented lawyer with initiative and drive who can effectively partner with business teams and handle a high volume of varied and complex legal work in the media, music, and technology sectors. This role will require you to play an important role in JioSaavn’s Legal and Business Affairs department in India and as such, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to offer legal advice clearly and effectively to a diverse audience are essential. This position reports directly to our AVP – Legal & Business Affairs.
Prepare yourself for your next Moot Court Oral Round through Memo Pundits’ Certificate Course on Oral Argumentation!
- Regular communication with JioSaavn business units to help identify and address legal issues associated with technology, digital product, digital content, integrated marketing, and programming across the JioSaavn platform.
- Advise and provide legal advice on a wide spectrum of contract, technology, corporate, advertising, intellectual property, corporate, and privacy-related issues.
- Sound understanding of how the trademark registry and trademark searches work in India.
- Support the Legal and Business Affairs group with ongoing workstreams including compliance, process improvement, template development, and the use of technology to increase efficiencies.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably work on multiple projects under tight timelines in an environment that is fast-paced and effectively communicate and collaborate with a broad range of constituents that are involved.
- Basic understanding and exposure to technology law and systems will be preferred.
- Drafting and filing takedowns and DMCA notices and other anti-piracy-related activities and solutions.
- L.L.B or B.A/BBA LLB degree with strong academic performance.
- Admitted to practice in India.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English.
- 0-2 years of transactional legal experience in a top-tier law firm or in-house legal department. Experience in the fields of Technology/Entertainment company preferred.
- Meticulous understanding of Media & Entertainment laws, Intellectual Property laws, Information Technology laws, Consumer Protection Laws.
- Excellent business and legal judgment. Superior ability to assess risk and determine priorities based on that risk assessment as well as the needs of the business.
- Familiarity with the Indian music and entertainment industry is helpful.
- Proven ability to quickly understand and learn new skill sets and new areas of practice.
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to tailor communication styles to diverse audiences.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete them on time.
- An ideal candidate is a “techie” by avocation and an avid music listener.
- An entrepreneurial, creative, and solution-driven outlook on all legal strategies.
Perks and Benefits
At JioSaavn, we blur work and play, and you get all the perks of a global company. You will get to work with a dynamic group of entrepreneurs, who are delivering results and working zealously across time zones to make a difference in the way the world experiences music. We love what we do, and we think you will too.
- Group Mediclaim
- Fun Fridays
- Flexible vacation policies
- Free healthy (and unhealthy) lunches & snacks
- JioSaavn-sponsored team outings
Associate – Legal & Business Affairs
To apply, click here.