About the Judgment Writing Competition
The Judgment Writing Competition has been conceived with the aim of promoting researching abilities of law aspirants and the creative skills of interpreting and applying various legal provisions and drafting judgment. The Judgment Writing Competition will have the following principles and purpose:
- To introduce law aspirants to the mechanism of judicial drafting.
- Application of various legal provisions in a particular set of facts; To develop the principles of justice, equity and good conscience in the mind of budding legal professionals.
- To promote the spirit of rule of law and justice.
- To interpret the law in a justifiable manner to meet ends of justice.
Each team shall consist of a minimum of 1 member and a maximum of 2 members. • The participants shall be pursuing a 3-year LLB or 5-year integrated LLB program from any college within India.
- The team composition may not be altered after registration.
- Registration Fees for Judgment Writing Competition is INR 500/- per team.
- The font of the entire body of the judgment must be ‘Times New Roman with a font size of 12.
- There shall be no footnotes or endnotes in the entire document, the authorities must be cited within the main body of the judgment itself.
- A line spacing must be kept at 1.5 points, uniformly throughout the document.
- The document must be neatly bordered from all 4 sides.
- The Team Code and the Name of the Court must be in ‘Bold’ on the cover page.
- Any verbatim copying of any part of the judgment or the legal provision must be italicized and written within inverted commas only.
- The margins of the document must be set in ‘Normal’ leaving 1” on all four sides.
- The size of the document must be in ‘A4’ size.
All Upcoming Moot Court Competitions: Click Here
The judgment must be submitted online, through registered mail of the participants and should conform to the following guidelines:
- The judgment shall not exceed 12 pages, including the cover page.
- The team is required to cite authorities similar to judgments of courts.
- The teams must adhere to the 20th Bluebook citation format.
- The judgment shall conform to the format as mentioned below.
- The submission must be made in both .doc and PDF format via the Google Form.
- The name of the file should be the team code followed by the format of the file (e.g. if The team code is TC5, then the file name must be ‘TC5_PDF’ or ‘TC5_DOC’)
Format of the Judgment
Every judgment must mandatorily incorporate the points mentioned below, in the body of the judgment, failing which the participants may attract deductions:
- First Page
- Team Code
- Name of the Court
- Title, Number of the Case
- Date of Delivery of Judgment
- Nature of the Case(s) (Civil/Criminal/Writ)
- Any other relevant information team wishes to incorporate on a first page similar to Judgments of the Indian Courts.
- Facts / History & Procedural History of the Petition / Suit / Appeal
- Admissibility / Maintainability of Petitions / Suits / Appeals
- Issues & Points for Determination
- Framing Specific Questions for determination
- Reference to Precedents, Other Sources (both authoritative & persuasive)
- Decision on issues framed or points formulated
- Decretal / Operative Part.
The judgment shall be evaluated on the following parameters:
- Adherence to Format of the Judgment 10 marks.
- Adherence to the Formatting Guidelines 10 marks.
- Clarity and coherence in the language 10 marks.
- Inclusion & Interpretation of Facts 10 marks.
- Identification of Issues involved 10 marks.
- Application of legal provisions 10 marks.
- Arguments of both the parties 10 marks.
- Ratio Decidendi & Justification of choice for the final decision 10 marks.
- Suggestive improvements in Indian law perspective 10 marks.
- Final sentencing and innovation in interpretation 10 marks.
All Upcoming Research Paper Submissions: Click Here
Deadline for Submission
- The judgment is to be submitted to email@example.com in both .docx and pdf latest by 11:59 P.M. IST, February 28, 2021.
- In case of multiple submissions, the last submission by the participant before the deadline will be considered for evaluation and any submission received after the deadline shall not be considered for evaluation, and the team shall be disqualified.
- The participating teams can request clarifications to the proposition on or before February 25, 2021, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The teams shall receive the final list of clarifications, along with their team code, on or before February 26, 2021.
Settlement of Disputes
The organizing committee and the host college shall have the final discretion in case of any dispute amongst the teams or any dispute regarding the results of the competition.
- The Last date of Registration is 28th February 2021.
- The Registration fee for the competition is 300/- and the same shall be paid to the below-mentioned details:
- Paytm (9968957864)
- Google Pay (9971912048) akarshsharma18@oksbi
- Phone Pay (9968957864@ybl)
Keyur Tripathi: 8383047367
Akarsh Sharma: 8368573952